Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Wednesday Wrap

Strange day - a little up - a little down and once again no clear direction in a directionless swamp. AAPL just came out with record earnings and that probably means the market will explode tomorrow and I can't wait. I bought a bunch of crap today and wound up holding it overnight. Among the many mistakes - RX, CQB (Chiquita Banana), CRVL, and SYMC. Still holding GLW but regretting every minute of it. Especially since it went past my buy point and I could have gotten out with a small profit this afternoon. I'm going to regret that too.

Wait did anyone hear that? That rocket blast? That was DHI - freed from the encumbrances of my owning shares it took off today with the rest of the homies. Up 2.35% on a relatively down day in the old marketplace. And Bullish Jim thinks that he sells too soon. Fahgedaboudid!

Day two of the GOOG short squeeze watch dawned bright and crisp and as the nation waited for that event with baited breath - it didn't happen. Why oh why Jimmy - tell me why...I mortgaged the homestead - I sold off the hogs including Ma's prize winning Jersey Petunia and put it all on the line at 513 - and now its selling at 497 and the broker called and he wants the cows, horses, and chickens toooooo.

Nobody knows nothing - don't ever forget it and if you wake up every morning and look in the mirror and say that and add "including me" to the end of it you will probably stay out of trouble. I didn't this morning - obviously.

MDRX that I bought yesterday for a couple of days hit a very tight stop loss this morning (my error - I told you the range was a buck and change but did I listen - oh hell no) and, of course, rebound one tick too late. Anyway I replaced it with RX and that one just kind of meandered sideways/down (swon which is the opposite of swup) all day. CQB is a buy because of the recent freeze out in CA and it was going up and then hit an imaginary ceiling and did a mime impression all morning beating against it and then fell away. Both these two are up or out tomorrow.

SYMC I grabbed up at the bottom and I actually made a buck or two on it today. If it turns tomorrow it too is gone - I should have sold at close today but I was busy with some other things - if it continues up tomorrow I'll double up. I know I'm going ot regret that. CRVL is also a purchase against a brighter day (tomorrow).

Tomorrow should be better - AAPL's earnings will make the pain go away and everything will go up and the world will be a better place. Right.

The up/down ratio actually increased today to 44% but the new 20 day high/low ratio went down to 60%. That's what I like about two disparate ratings that sound alike but are totally different. The only time they mean anything is when they both go in the same direction. Otherwise it is a split decision. The 4 majors and GS were all over the place at the end - some up - some down. More split decision - and to add to the confusion the VIX actually went down in a down market - talk about not knowing which way the wind is blowing. There's a reason for that but you'll have to go ask Adam as I haven't a clue. I think all of these holidays and extra days off and the rest of that has gotten the markets so confused they don't know which end is up. But I'm still thinking about years past and the fact that right around here you normally get a bump. Of course earnings have been pretty good in years past.

I think tomorrow will be another weak day but will close up - I'm calling tomorrow for the bulls.

The magic coin says ... heads - bull market coming.

OK it was a bear market today and I called for an up market that makes me 3 - 3 and 1 and the coin is 3 - 3 and 1. What a race - a train wreck in slow motion.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you know by now that apple is down more than slightly in the aftermarket. Wow!

QUALITY STOCKS UNDER 5 DOLLARS said...

Who knows where the market might be going.