Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Wrapping Tuesday

Except for the fact that I'm actually carrying a small portfolio for swing trade purposes I welcome a down day. Now despite the blah blah blah from the bobbleheads on bubblevision (I don't watch I just read the headlines) it really wasn't because of the Fed or because of Best Buy or even because Oil went up or down or the dollar went somewhere or the trade deficit which last month caused the market to collapse because it went up this month caused the market to collapse because it went down. Whew - did I get it all in? I hope so. The reason why the market has been a little weak lately is because - are you ready Chuckles? - because there isn't anything to buy and most of the buyers are on the normal - ain't gonna do nothin' between now and Christmas/Chanukha/ Festival of F'in Lights or what have you because I'm on my out of pocket vacation. I.E. I'm screwing off because that's what we do between now and January 1st. Besides its options expiration week. What do you expect?

I had to get out of CTXS today because I couldn't stand the pain any longer and that one was hurting me. I probably sold too soon and if it starts going back up anytime soon I might reacquire - although for the life of me I don't know why. Replaced it with some GLW although that is probably going to prove to be a mistake as well - we'll see. At least it didn't go down. I also doubled up on my ORCL position this afternoon at close of business. If we get a good bounce tomorrow morning I'll sell off that portion for a quick profit. If not I'll sell the original half tomorrow at COB which was my plan anyway. ALTR and SYMC didn't do much either way today which is fine.

The VIX remains more than 5% but less than 10% below its 10 day average but the good news is that the up/down ratio is at 35%. There were 483 new 20 day highs and 506 new 20 day lows. The first time in 11 days the new lows outpaced the new highs. The 4 indices we track DIA, IWM, QQQQ, and SPY (actually the ETFs of indices) all finished the last hour strong. Only GS, off a report of extremely strong profits, finished the day down. That's normal - there is no place for GS to go now but down they've made all the money there is to make in the entire world (sarcasm off).

Put all of this together and I think there will be a small rally tomorrow and Thursday then a flat Friday (expiry day)and a weak week next week.

Old magic coin blew it today and starts the downward slide again - 36 and 27 - I smell a TV contract coming soon - isn't that how bubblevision rewards ostentatious mediocrity? But for tomorrow ... landed on its edge - just kidding - tails - bear market. Dumb coin.

No comments: